Monday, May 22, 2017

Food for Battle...Food for the Journey

J.M.J. + O.B.T. + M.G.R.*

The one outdoor Holy Mass I remember was a sunrise service just south of Aschaffenburg, West Germany.  It took place on a grass covered hillside and I was moved by the raw natural beauty of the liturgical moment.

The year was 1984.  I was the XO of a M2 Bradley Mechanized Infantry Company in Graves Kaserne, I was a "Cottonbaler by God" a "Damn fine Soldier." As providence would have it, I had recently jinned up the mascot for my company which was formed as the 4th/Delta unit of the new at the time Division 86 force structure.  I nicknamed us the Delta Devils. I even graphically developed a flag for this. 

In those days of my life (my soul) was in a dark place. My company commander, CPT Singleton, was about to be replaced by a another good man, CPT Bill Gessner. (As I write this here in Houston, I am on a road that crosses  Gessner Rd.)

As I Google Map this Mass location now I find it to be in Schweinheim ... pig home.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schweinheim_(Aschaffenburg)


This was the closest Catholic Church to the site of the Mass---
the Parish of the Nativity of Mary.

I never came close to entering it.

Here is one of my M2 Bradley's



FOOD FOR BATTLE

I wonder if it was an Easter service...

Easter 1984 was...April 22
 (My mother's birthday)


I remember the sun,
it was filled with such warmth.


Sincerely yours in Jesus through Mary,
Mike Rizzio









Imitate Mary
Become like Jesus
Live for the Triune God







Seek the Light of Our Lord Jesus Christ
See you on the High Ground!







* - J.M.J. + O.B.T. + M.G.R. stands for:
Jesus, Mary and Joseph;
O Beata Trinitas;
St. Michael, St. Gabriel and St. Raphael

No comments: