Tuesday, June 02, 2015

The Hymnary, Revival and Light, Life and Love

J.M.J. + O.B.T. + M.G.R.*



Wow is all I can say!
It seems the latter years of the
Third Great Awakening,
  the great American
religious revival

(1884-1910)
were musically alive with theology
that employed the gifts of
 Light, Life and Love 

 Check out this list of 333 first lines
I found at http://www.hymnary.org:



A friend I have called Jesus, Whose love is 
A light shines on my pilgrim way 
A stable lamp is lighted 
Afar from the turmoil of life’s busy sway 
All hail to the Prince of life 
Amid life's busy, hurrying throng 
Angels of light with their pinions of gold 
Are you dwelling in the "Upper Room" of fellowship and light 
Arise and shine! Thy light is come 
As light, O Christ, Thou cam'st to earth 
As pilgrims and strangers we journey through life 
Beautiful light, holy and true 
Behold what love, yes, love divine 
Beyond the sea, life's boundless sea 
Bless our loved ones, Holy Father 
Blessèd Bible! how I love it 
Blessed Redeemer, I love Thee so well 
Blest be the dear uniting love 
Blest be Thy love, dear Lord 
Break forth, O beauteous heavenly light 
Break Thou the bread of life, dear Lord, to me 
Brightly did the light divine 
By making some one happy as we pass along life's way 
Close beside the heart that loves me 
Cold are the people, winter of life 
Come down, O love divine 
Come sing to me of Jesus' love 
Come, kingdom of our God, Sweet reign of light and love 
Come, my Way, my Truth, my life 
Come, Thou my light, that I may see 
Come, ye [you] [we] that [who] love the Lord [Christ]
Crown with love, Lord, this glad day 
Dear Savior, stretch Thy loving arms 
Deep in the depths of the Saviour's love 
Deeper, deeper in the love of Jesus Daily let me go 
Do you love the world, in its pomp and show? 
Due Praises to th' incarnate love 
Easter light is shining o’er the world today 
Eternal light, Divinity 
Father and Friend! Thy light, Thy love 
Father most holy, merciful, and loving 
Father of light, and life, and love 
Father of lights from whom alone 
Father, to Thy kind love we owe 
Fill your life with sunshine from those cloudless skies 
For each day of life we thank you 
For God so loved this [the] sinful world, his Son he freely 
For the deep love that kept us through the night 
Forever I will sing of your great love, O LORD 
Fount of love, our Savior God 
Fountain of life, supernal Fire 
From death to life, oh, what a thought! 
Fully trust the loving Saviour 
Gather us in, Thou love that fillest all 
Give light, O Lord, that we may learn 
Give thanks for life, the measure of our days 
Give us light for life eternal 
God is love - his the care 
God is love, by Him upholden 
God is love, his mercy brightens 
God loved [loves] the [a] world of sinners lost 
God of grace, O let Thy light 
God of love and God of marriage 
God of our life, through all the circling years 
God, be the love to search and keep me 
God, in the planning and purpose of life 
Great God, we praise your mighty love 
Hallelujah, I am walking in the light 
Hark, the voice of love and mercy 
Have I spoken words of love 
He came to live, live a perfect life 
Here in this place new light is streaming 
Hold fast to the Savior, He loves you still 
Holy Spirit, light divine 
Holy Spirit, Lord of love 
How desolate my life would be 
How glorious is the life above 
How great is the love of my Saviour 
How I love Thy law, O Lord! 
How lovely are thy dwelling fairs, O Lord of hosts, how dear 
How lovely are Thy tents, O Lord 
How lovely on the mountain 
How lovely shines the Morning Star 
How matchless the love of Jesus 
How oft across life's narrow path 
How small our span of life, O God 
How sweet is the love of Jesus 
How vast is God's unfailing love 
How wide the love of Christ! 
I am happy in the Lord for the love He showed to me 
I am the Way, and the Truth, and the life 
I do love Jesus with all my heart 
I gave My life for thee 
I have a song I love to sing, since I 
I know I love my Saviour 
I know I love Thee better, Lord 
I love the Christ, the Son of God 
I love the early primrose 
I love the volumes of Thy Word 
I love thy kingdom, Lord 
I love to serve my Jesus, a priv'lege so sublime 
I love to tell in song and story 
I love to tell the story of unseen things above 
I love to tell the story 
I love to wait at mercy's gate 
I stand all amazed at the love 
I will love Thee, O Lord, my strength 
I will not doubt my Saviour’s love 
I would love to tell you what I think of Jesus 
If the sinful ways of life 
If Thou, True life, wilt in me live 
If you want the world to love the blessed Lamb of Calvary 
I'll never cease to love him 
I'm on life's ocean sailing 
Immortal love, forever full 
In heavenly love abiding 
In life's earnest morning, when our hope was high 
In loving kindness Jesus came 
In memory of the [our] Savior's love 
In the journey of life there is something to do 
In the light of the cross there is peace for the heart 
In the morning of life we are singing 
In the morning of thy life Ere the seeds of sin 
In the sin clouded valley of earth life 
Jesu, Thou joy of loving hearts! 
Jesus came to bring us light and joy 
Jesus love me, this I know 
Jesus the water of life will give 
Jesus, my Lord, will love me forever 
Jesus, thou Source of life, and light, and love 
Jesus, thy all victorious love 
Jesus, thy boundless love to me 
Jesus, Thy light again I view 
King of my life, I crown Thee now 
Lead, kindly light, amid th' encircling gloom 
Lest be the tie that binds our hearts in Christian love 
Let folly praise that fancy loves 
Let my life be hid with Thee 
Let there be light, Lord God of hosts! 
Let us sing the love of Jesus 
Let us sing the name of Jesus, oh, that name we love so dear! 
Life is mine, yes, mine thro' the blood of the Lamb 
Life is not a mystic dream 
Light after darkness, gain after loss 
Light of all who come to Thee 
Light of life, so softly shining 
Light of my life, O Lord, Thou art 
Light of the Gentile world! 
Light of the minds that know Him 
Light of the world! Whose kind and gentle care 
Light of the world, we hail Thee 
Light of the world, you stepped down into darkness 
Light of those whose dreary dwelling 
Little children, do not fear, Jesus loves you 
Live for the Lord who loves you so 
Living for Jesus a life that is true 
Lo, the day, the day of life 
Lord of life, all praise excelling 
Lord of life, of love, of light 
Lord of life, prophetic Spirit 
Lord of our life, God whom we fear 
Lord, let Your light, light of Your face  
Lord, the light of your love is shining 
Lord, whose love through humble service 
Love came down at Christmas 
Love divine, all love exceeding 
Love divine, all loves [love] excelling 
Love divine, so great and wondrous 
Love has come - a light in the darkness! 
Love him, love him, all ye little children 
Love of the Father, love of God the Son 
Love, the fount of light from heaven 
Loved with everlasting love 
Make your life a blessing as you onward go 
More love to thee, O Christ [God] 
My Beloved is so fair 
My God! in life's most doubtful hour 
My Jesus, I love Thee, I know Thou art mine 
My life, dear Lord, I give to Thee 
My life, my love, I give to Thee 
My light and my salvation 
My Lord of light who made the worlds 
My loving Lord in sympathy 
My path is bright, my burden light 
My Savior, 'mid life's varied scene 
No hope had I, no light within 
Not I, but Christ, be honored, loved, exalted 
O Breath of life, come sweeping through us 
O Christ divine, O God of love 
O Christ, my Lord, Thou art my life and light 
O Christ, the way, the truth, the life 
O everlasting light 
O God in heaven, whose loving plan 
O God of God! O light of light! 
O God of love, enable me  
O God of love, grant us Your peace 
O God of mercy, God of light 
O God, O Spirit, light of all that live 
O gracious Lord, with love draw near 
O grant us light, that we may know 
O heavenly fount of light and love 
O Holy Ghost, Thou Lord of light 
O holy radiance, joyous light 
O I love to walk with Jesus 
O Jesus Christ! my fairest light 
O Jesus, Lord, thy dying love 
O Jesus, my Saviour, how lovely Thou art 
O Jesus, you are the way, the truth and life 
O light of light, shine in! 
O light, whose beams illumine all 
O Lord of life, Thy kingdom is at hand 
O Lord of life, to Thee we lift 
O Lord our light, our Hope, our Way 
O love divine and golden 
O love divine, how sweet [good] thou art 
O love divine, that [who] stooped [stoop'st] [stoops] to share 
O love divine, what hast thou done 
O love of God, how strong and true 
O love that will not let me go 
O love, how deep, how broad, how high 
O love, who formedst me to wear 
O matchless love, how could it be 
O perfect life of love, All, all is finished now 
O perfect love, all human thought [thoughts] transcending 
O sing the power of love divine 
O the deep, deep love of Jesus 
O the kindly light is shining on my pathway 
O the way of life is rugged, and my feet are bruised and torn 
O thou light of my soul, blessed Saviour 
O Thou, whose thoughts are brightest light 
O what a depth of love and boundless grace 
O wonderful love of my Savior 
O! I love the name of Jesus 
O, for a [an] heart to praise [love] my God 
Of the Father's love [heart] begotten 
Oh realm of light! whose morning star 
Oh, how sublime is the life of the Christian 
Oh, write Thy wondrous love divine 
On the Christian's path a shining light appears 
Once I wandered on where the light was dim 
Our Father, whose creative love 
Our God is love, and all his saints 
People in darkness are looking for light 
Pilgrim of Jesus, o'er life's troubled sea 
Praise for the light that shines through the night 
Praise the Lord of life, ye people! 
Praise the Lord! my heart with His love is beaming 
Praise the name of Jesus, for His love to me 
Pure essence! Spotless Fount of light 
Redeemed, how I love to proclaim it! 
Renew me, O eternal light 
Retell what Christ's great love has done 
Ruler of the hosts of light 
Savior, more than life to me 
Savior, Thou art life to me 
Scatter love’s sunbeams as onward you go 
Shine calm and bright, ye moonbeams light 
Shine in, shine in, Thou light divine 
Shine through the darkness, Star of hope and light 
Since Jesus gave His life for me 
Smiles like sunbeams, light the day 
Source of love, my brighter sun 
Source of my life's refreshing springs 
Spirit of light, Thy glory pour 
Take my life and let it be 
Tell about the love of Jesus 
Tell me the stories of Jesus I love to hear 
Tender love of Jesus, so lovely and so pure 
That God should love a sinner such as I 
The children of earth are the light of our eyes 
The dim, soft light of early morn 
The God of holiness and love 
The greatness of God in his love has been shown 
The King of love my shepherd is 
The light along the ages 
The Lord Almighty is my light 
The LORD God is my light and my salvation 
The Lord is my light and my salvation 
The Lord is my light and my salvation 
The Lord is my light, my star of morn 
The Lord of life is risen 
The Lord of life to earth came down 
The Lord of light shall give His peace 
The love of God is greater far 
The love that clothes itself in light 
The morning light is surely growing brighter 
The tide of Jesus' mighty love 
Thee will I love, my Strength, my Tower 
There are souls opprest by sorrow all along life’s rugged way 
There is a light, a blessèd light 
There is a name I love to hear, I love to sing [speak] its worth 
There is life forevermore 
There is life in a look at the crucified One 
There is no sorrow, Lord, too light 
There’s a beautiful light-house ‘way over the main 
There’s a bright and Golden light 
There's a light in the window at home for me 
There's a light that shines with brightness 
There's a river of life with its pure crystal light 
There's sunshine in my Savior's love 
They are pushing out the life-boat, throwing out the line 
This is the day when light was first created 
Thou hidden love of God, whose height 
Thou lovely source of true delight 
Thy life was given for me! 
Thy love, O gracious God and Lord 
Touch the earth lightly 
Tree of life and awesome myst'ry 
We have come rejoicing in the Father's love 
We love the venerable house 
We remember one who loved us well 
We shall see His lovely face 
We walk together to be children of light 
What feast of love is offered here 
What is our life? 
What light is this whose constant ray 
When all the storms of life are o'er 
When love is found and hope comes home 
When mother love makes all things bright 
When my lifework is ended 
When my soul is oppressed with the sorrows of life 
When on earth no more we gather, when this life is o'er 
When storms of life are round me beating 
When the cares of life are crowding 
When the storms of life are raging 
Where cross the crowded ways of life 
Who is my life but Christ alone? 
Why should life a weary journey seem 
With our colors waving bright in the blaze of gospel light 
Would you be a sunbeam filled with heaven’s light 
Your word sheds light upon my path 
You're called by name, forever loved 
You've poured out Your Spirit, Great Father of life 

and a rainbow kicker...

Beautiful Rainbow of Promise

Beautiful rainbow of promise,
Arching the lowering sky,
Glorious hope of tomorrow,
Life, endless life by and by.

Refrain:
With joy, with joy, we bask in the sunlight of love,
O promise of God never failing,
We’ll rise with our Savior above.
Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah!
We’ll rise with our Savior, our Savior above.

Rise in our hearts blessed Jesus,
From our dead selves set us free,
Keep us, we pray, from all evil,
Till Thy dear face we shall see. [Refrain]

Beautiful rainbow of promise,
Telling of weeping long past,
Christ, like the sun, has arisen,
Lighting our darkness at last. [Refrain]

Sincerely yours in Jesus through Mary, 
Mike Rizzio

Imitate Mary
Become like Jesus
Live for the Triune God

Seek the Light of Our Lord Jesus Christ
See you on the High Ground!

* - J.M.J. + O.B.T. + M.G.R. stands for:
Jesus, Mary and Joseph;
O Beata Trinitas;
St. Michael, St. Gabriel and St. Raphael

No comments: