Sunday, September 11, 2011

Reflecting Pools

J.M.J. + O.B.T. + M.G.R.*

The genesis of this current blog was a screenplay that I began to write in the winter of 1982. On an excursion from Germany to London, England—the ITT bus tour during Christmas time—I remember being moved to leave the formal schedule so as to roam streets and neighborhoods and see the "real" London. What I witnessed deeply affected me.

On that December 25th, I was inexplicably drawn to wind through Hyde Park, pausing to gaze at reality through the various reflecting pools that dotted the green way. I was soon amazed when I chanced upon the scene of various orators at Speakers Corner (which at that time I never even knew existed). I stood in the pouring rain that odd Christmas morning and LISTENED. I started the screenplay, Reflecting Pool, on the bus ride back to the Channel Ferry.

http://www.planetware.com/i/photo/hyde-park-london-gb036.jpg
I also recall my first trip ever through Oklahoma City. I believe it was the summer of 2004. Without any prior knowledge of where the Murrah Building was, I chose to pay a visit to another "ground zero" when I exited I-35 South. Without seeking directions and without any signs, I was guided by the mysterious hand of Providence right to the spot, to a future Reflecting Pool.  I remember reading many of the personal tributes and prayers that were left on the storm fence that surrounded the site.  I wept when I saw Jesus' statue next to St. Joseph's Catholic Church.  And Jesus wept.


http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2400/2175683189_49212b527c.jpg

Today, as I watch the 9/11 World Trade Center 10th Memorial Anniversary I can't help but think of the two Reflecting Absence pools in personal terms. My dad was there that fateful morning. Maybe for only the tenth time in his 50+ years of conducting business as a life insurance rep in Metropolitan NY/NJ. He was in the PATH Train underground food court. The story he related was that he ate two old fashioned donuts with his coffee that morning. He was about to have a third after which he planned to ascend one of the towers for business. He had a decision to make and then changed his mind and went to the subway tube to travel to the Metropolitan Tower Building at 23rd Street and Madison Avenue "The Light That Never Fails."


About ten minutes later, the subway came to a screeching halt and the passengers were instructed to exit and climb to the street in Lower Manhattan to watch the unfolding horror.

I believe it was St. Michael the Archangel who guided my father away from evil to ultimate safety.

That's what the two Reflecting Pools will always mean to me...now that my dad has moved on to his heavenly reward.

Sincerely yours in Jesus and Mary,
Mike Rizzio
Imitate Mary
Become like Jesus
Live for the Triune God

Seek the Light of Our Lord Jesus Christ
See you on the High Ground!

* - J.M.J. + O.B.T. + M.G.R. stands for:
Jesus, Mary and Joseph;
O Beata Trinitas;
St. Michael, St. Gabriel and St. Raphael


No comments: